St. Thomas 125th Anniversary
St. Thomas had its beginning in 1897 when members of the Northkill Church Lutheran and Reformed congregations decided to build new churches. The Northkill Church (St. John’s Union Church) was located near today’s cemetery behind the Evangelical Lutheran Friedens Church.
The 1898 dedication of St. Thomas was a huge event in Bernville. Services were held Saturday afternoon and evening and Sunday morning, afternoon and evening. It was estimated that on Sunday afternoon over 3,000 people were in town. The church could seat 1200 persons and all the available standing room was filled.
Part of the Lutheran congregation of the Northkill Church decided to build their own church, which is now Evangelical Lutheran Friedens Church. Another group of the Lutheran members decided to go with the Reformed Congregation and build a Union Church, which was originally called St. Thomas Evangelical Lutheran and Reformed Church. The cornerstone was laid in 1897, and the building was dedicated on September 10, and 11, 1898.
In 2022, there is still lots of room at St. Thomas. On Sunday, September 18th, Rev. Randy Bond, who grew up at St. Thomas, will preach at the 10:30 a.m. service and there will be special musical presentations by the church choirs. St. Thomas invites everyone to join in the celebration.