600 Main Street

The original site of the earliest school in the area was standing here, a little back from the corner of Main and Washington Street, A water pump for the school was also located here; now the road passes over the site. The earliest school was run by the Northkill Church. In 1876, chair maker Jacob Staley and his wife, Harriet, operated a candy store here. Samuel Mogel, a cigar maker and painter, purchased it in 1879. One of his specialties was home made ice cream. His candy shop was especially popular with the children attending the Penn Township primary school located next door. About 1917-1919, it was bought and operated by Milton Graeff. (Candy stores, also known as confectionery stores, were popular in Bernville. There was one or more on almost every block in the borough.)